The process for securing a Permanent Residence status (PR) is a step by step process which needs guidance and an in-depth understanding of the rules of immigration. Skilled migration to Australia is very popular among engineers looking to under SOL or CSOL list.
For Mechanical Engineers looking to migrate to Australia the first step of the process is Skill Assessment, which verifies if your qualifications and skills match to the requirements of Australian standards.
Skill Assessment Authority:
Engineers Australia is the designated authority to assess professional engineers for most of the engineering occupations. The required academic qualification is an Australian or equivalent 4 year bachelor degree in engineering at a University following 12 years of schooling or equivalent. An applicant has to have in hand a positive skill assessment from Engineers Australia.
All applicants applying to have their skills assessed by Engineers Australia are required to provide evidence of their English language competency through either of the following tests,
- IELTS with a minimum score of 6.0 in each of the four modules – speaking, listening, reading & writing – Engineers Australia accepts both the General and Academic versions of the test.
- TOEFL iBT is accepted by Engineers Australia as an alternative English language test to address the English language competency element of the Skills Assessment. Applicants will need a TOEFL iBT result with the minimal scores for each module:
- Listening: 12
- Reading: 13
- Writing: 21
- Speaking: 18
- Applicants who are native English speakers or have complete their undergraduate or Masters or PhD at an Australian university are exempt from providing the language proficiency requirements.
Pathway to Recognition:
The next step is selecting the appropriate Pathway for skill assessment that is through preparation of a Competency Demonstration Report popularly known as CDR – this is usually chosen by people who have completed their engineering from India. The CDR should documentary evidence of the core technical engineering knowledge supporting the nominated occupation & the demonstrated application of that knowledge in the nominated occupation.
Age & Experience:
To successfully secure a Permanent Resident visa for Australia – an applicant must have at least 2 years of experience and should not be more than 50 years old.
You would need submit all relevant documents along with the application plus assessment fee. The assessment is completed normally between 2 to 3 months from the date of receipt of the application. Once you have a positive skill assessment from Engineers Australia you can apply for,
- Skilled Independent Visa sub class 189
- Skilled nominated visa sub class 190
The information shared is of a general nature and should not be taken as legal advice. The process of filing of immigration application is complex, to ensure positive results it is advised to seek guidance from trained professionals who have experience in understanding the rules of immigration process and can guide perspective applicants correctly.